Monday, January 01, 2007

STARBUCKS

I don't drink much coffee myself, maybe a half cup of decaf a day but I often frequent Starbucks because they have a program of bagging up used coffee grounds and giving them away. I take these easy-manageable size bags home and sometimes I spread them around individual plants and occasionally I will add some to my compost pile. I look at it as free organic matter to enrich my garden soil. It may not have high numbers in the nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium ratings but earthworms love it and they make a tremendous difference in soil health and viability. If gardeners weren't using this by-product then it would simply go to waste in a landfill. Someone at Starbucks had to make a decision to initiate this program (probably after local gardeners kept asking for used grounds) and go to the trouble and expense (those waterproof bags aren't free) to provide this service. It is little things like this that make a big difference in conservation. It shows respect for people and the planet and for this I thank you Starbucks.